Senior Mechanical Design Engineer | UK
Oxford Lasers Ltd is a high technology company headquartered in Didcot, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom. The company designs and manufactures laser systems, supplies subcontract laser services and carries out after sales services to both academia and industry.
The laser systems come in two groups; micromachining and imaging. Micromachining systems use a laser to perform a wide variety of high-precision micromachining tasks in many different materials and for many different applications. Imaging systems use a laser, specialist camera and software to produce an instrument capable of high-speed imaging in the analysis of droplets, particles or energetic (“bright”) events for a range of applications.
The company was founded in 1977 as a spin-out from Oxford University and still retains its unique skills in laser technology and applications. The company was the subject of a Management Buyout in October 2006 and is 100% owned by the management. Since the buyout the company has grown organically and established an extremely strong financial and technological base. It has built a strong R&D department, based on externally funded projects, which provides a stream of new technology and leading-edge know-how to the rest of the company. From this foundation it wants to exploit the expanding market for advanced laser products and to enter a new phase of strong organic growth.
Oxford Lasers is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for the design and development of Micromachining and High Speed Imaging systems
In this role you will be expected to be creative and innovative in the generation of concepts and detailed designs using 3D CAD and FEA simulation tools. Your responsibilities will include the generation of drawings and MRP data for both internal and external customers using approved procedures and processes.
This is a wide-ranging role in mechanical design
- Produce concept and detailed designs using 3D CAD ensuring that solutions are fit for purpose and cost effective
- Use FEA tools to simulate mechanical behaviour
- Generate and amend drawings and documentation to appropriate standards including BS8888
- Investigate and define answers to design problems via NCRs and ECRs
- Generate and maintain detailed BoMs
- To work in accordance with safety procedures detailed within the Health and Safety manual, taking care to avoid injury to themselves and others at work
- Working to the highest professional standards both in house and at customers sites
- Should readily take ownership of their tasks and complete them with their very best endeavours and to the best of their ability
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and to manage own workload to meet each individual task in good time
- Should fit comfortably in a very technical environment with a highly qualified and experienced staff
- Should enjoy working in a small organisation where he/she has a considerable level of responsibility, but also needs to perform basic tasks on occasion. Willingness to support other aspects of the business or deliver other tasks as the company may require
- Ability to innovate and work with minimum supervision
- A “can do” attitude
- Proactive problem-solving capability – able to take problem ownership and drive solutions forward, working to tight deadlines in a customer focused manner
- Team player; demonstrated ability to work closely with other team members
Education, Experience & Skills
- A minimum of 5 years experience working in a mechanical design role in a high technology company
- Experience of using 3D CAD packages. AutoCAD Inventor and Vault would be an advantage
- Experience of MRP systems and BoM maintenance
- Degree level of education preferred but not essential
- An understanding on aspects of mechanical engineering, including structural analysis
- An understanding of materials, treatments and finishes, and their environmental implications
- A proven ability to support change within an organisation
- Candidates must have legal right to work in the UK and be commutable to our site in Didcot
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Up to 30 days holiday
- Group Personal Pension
- Private Medical Scheme
Hiring & Recruitment
We welcome individuals to apply for this role by filling out our online form below. Your application will be reviewed by the responsible person for the role and you will be contacted as a follow up. Oxford Lasers works with selected approved recruitment agencies as well. We are unable to accept enquiries from non-approved recruiters.